Spate of killings not acceptable–Mar Roxas
MANILA, Philippines–Interior Secretary Mar Roxas on Tuesday expressed displeasure over the recent spate of killings in the country, directing the police to form special investigation teams that will look into the murders of several known personalities.
“Of course, the situation right now is not acceptable,” Roxas said in a radio interview.
“I did not only tell the PNP (Philippine National Police) officials, but I stressed to them that the investigation on these recent criminal incidents should be finished,” he said.
In particular, Roxas said he directed PNP Deputy Director Gen. Felipe Rojas Jr., the PNP deputy chief for administration, and Chief Supt. Richard Albano, Quezon City Police District director, to create a team of crack police investigators to solve the killing of race-car driver Enzo Pastor.
Pastor, 31, was on his way to Clark International Speedway when he was shot several times by motorcycle-riding gunmen on the corner of Visayas and Congressional Avenues on Independence Day.
On Monday, Malacañang said President Aquino himself has been keenly monitoring the status of the police investigation into high-profile crimes and the PNP’s performance.
“All crimes that take place in our country have to be solved,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma told a press briefing at Malacañang.
Roxas admitted it may take some time before the police could finish its probe in some of the incidents, but he assured the public that there were “positive developments” in the PNP’s law enforcement operations.
He cited last week’s arrest of alleged Abu Sayyaf commander Khair Mundos, who was captured by government security forces in his supposed safe house in Parañaque City.
The US government had offered a $500,000 reward for the capture of Mundos, who is believed to be a financier of the Abu Sayyaf and one of the local contacts of the regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah.
Meanwhile, PNP Director Gen. Alan Purisima warned the axe may fall on police commanders who failed to stem criminal incidence in their respective jurisdiction.
Presiding over a command conference at Camp Crame on Monday, Purisima instructed the directors of all PNP regional offices to come up with better operational plans against criminal groups.
Chief Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP spokesman, said Purisima also reminded senior police officials that their performance would be measured by their capacity to carry out their duties stated in their “individual performance card.”
“The PNP chief challenged the police commanders to work harder in addressing the peace and order concerns in their areas. Otherwise, they may face serious sanctions,” Sindac told reporters.
He said Purisima declined to impose deadlines on ongoing probes of high-profile crimes to protect the integrity of the police investigation.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.