Victim of South Korea ferry disaster found miles away
SEOUL — The body of a victim of South Korea’s ferry disaster has been found miles away from the sunken vessel, rescuers said Thursday, fuelling fears that some of the deceased may never be found.
Since the 6,825-ton Sewol ferry sank off the southwest coast on April 16, 289 bodies have now been recovered, leaving 15 unaccounted for.
The ship was carrying a total of 476 people — mostly high school students on a school trip.
Even though no bodies have been recovered from the interior over the past two weeks, divers have continued searching the submerged vessel in extremely hazardous conditions.
Two divers have been killed so far — the latest just last week.
The body found Thursday by a local fisherman was floating at sea 40 kilometers (25 miles) northwest of the sunken ship, the maritime ministry said.
Fingerprint tests confirmed the person was one of the missing passengers.
The recovery will underscore warnings that other bodies may have been washed far from the rescue site by the strong currents — and that some may never be recovered.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.