Roberto Ongpin brands ‘false and erroneous’ criminal case filed by ‘disgruntled’ ex-worker
MANILA, Philippines—Business tycoon Roberto Ongpin branded as false and erroneous the criminal case filed against him by former employee Eduveges Batalan.
“We completely deny these charges. They are false and erroneous. They are nothing but contrived accusations of a disgruntled employee,” Ongpin’s legal counsel Rodolfo Ma. Ponferrada said in a statement.
He said Batalan has been Ongpin’s employee for several years. “But instead of being loyal, he stole money from Mr. Ongpin and his companies. Thus, he was terminated for cause (theft and dishonesty).”
Ponferrada said a criminal complaint for qualified theft was filed against Batalan by Philweb, where he previously worked. The complaint was before the City Prosecutor of Makati as early as Feb. 12, 2014 and is currently undergoing preliminary investigation.
“As he stole millions of pesos from Mr. Ongpin and his companies, more criminal cases are set to be filed against him…Clearly, the false and malicious information that Mr. Batalan fed to the NBI are nothing more but his way of getting back at Mr. Ongpin and his companies,” Ponferrada said.
NBI files serious illegal detention case vs Roberto Ongpin
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.