Aurora solon: People wouldn’t trust me if I was involved in scam | Inquirer News
Close  

Aurora solon: People wouldn’t trust me if I was involved in scam

/ 10:40 AM May 19, 2014

MANILA, Philippines—Amid allegations that she received commissions from alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles, Aurora Representative Bellaflor Angara-Castillo turned to her constituents, saying they would not continuously patronize her if she was involved in any anomaly.

Bellaflor Angara-Castillo. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO / CONGRESS.GOV.PH WEBSITE

“Kung ikaw ba naman ihahalal ka ng pitong beses sunud-sunod kung ikaw ay may kalokohan,” Castillo told Radyo Inquirer 990AM on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Would the people elect me seven times in a row if I committed any wrongdoing?)

She denied knowing Napoles and Benhur Luy.

FEATURED STORIES

“I don’t even know her. I don’t even know that she existed,” Castillo said of Napoles.

The congresswoman said she “was really so surprised and so mad” when she read the Philippine Daily Inquirer (PDI) report, listing her among the lawmakers that supposedly dealt with Napoles-linked non-government organizations.

The list was from Luy, Napoles’ former employee who has turned whistleblower and principal witness to the alleged misuse of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).

Castillo is the younger sister of former Senator Edgardo Angara and aunt of incumbent Senator Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara.

Her first foray into politics was in 1995 as the representative of the lone district of Aurora. She was a member of the House of Representatives for three terms until 2004. She was also the first woman to become House majority floor leader. After another three terms as governor of Aurora, Castillo returned to Congress in 2013.

The congresswoman said all of her projects had been completed and there were no requests for any commission from her allocated funds.

In the PDI article, Castillo was mentioned as one of the two lawmakers in Luy’s list that had “fully implemented projects.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Castillo, who is also a lawyer, said she will file charges against those who spread misinformation about her.

“Whoever is involved in this wrong and malicious information (will be sued),” she said.

RELATED STORIES

More than 150 solons in Luy’s pork records

Angara bares PDAF records

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bellaflor Angara-Castillo, Benhur Luy, Janet Lim Napoles, Luy list, Napoles list, pork barrel scam
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.