Binay urged to support gov’t bid to jail those linked to pork scam
MANILA, Philippines—Instead of scoffing at government witnesses in the pork barrel scam, Vice President Jejomar Binay should support the government’s effort in pursuing those involved in the scam, Justice Secretary Leila De Lima said Monday.
Binay over the weekend called as ‘dud’ the testimony of potential state witness Ruby Chan Tuason against Senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jinggoy Estrada which De Lima described as a ‘slam dunk evidence.’
“He is entitled to his opinion and I respect his opinion. But it saddens me that instead of encouraging us to further strengthen evidence, [he] is belittling or even scoffing at our evidence,” De Lima told reporters.
De Lima said everyone, especially the people working for the government, should help and pray for the success of efforts in putting the people responsible for this scam behind bars.
Tuason arrived last week from the US and submitted a statement to the Office of the Ombudsman saying she used to deliver the kickbacks to Senators Estrada and Enrile through his chief of staff Atty. Gigi Reyes.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.