No thanks, says CQCU football club
The Cebu Queen City United Football Club (CQCU-FC) will not be playing in the prestigious United Football League (UFL) 2014 seasons that is set to unfold this Saturday at the Emperador Stadium in Taguig City.
According to CQCU manager Stanley Villasin, CQCU-FC will focus more on its campaign in the ongoing 16th Aboitiz Football Cup, where the team is the defending champion in the premier men’s open division. It is also focused on improving its younger under-23 team.
“CQCU has declined the invitation to participate in the UFL as we would like to concentrate instead with our under-23 and men’s open in the Aboitiz Football Cup,” Villasin said. “The schedules for both leagues will surely clash and this is what we are trying to avoid aside from our request for a home and away format.”
CQCU-FC capped off its campaign in the UFL last year with promising performances. It defeated UFL champion Philippine Air Force in one game other top contenders such as Stallions FC.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.