Palace: It’s time to end use of firecrackers
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang believes that it’s time to end the use of dangerous firecrackers to welcome the New Year following the Department of Health’s (DOH) announcement that it has recorded higher number of firecracker-related injuries compared to last year.
“Its time for a safe alternative to the dangerous celebration of the New Year,” Presidential Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma said.
At least 599 injuries were recorded during the New Year revelry, higher than the 419 in 2013, according to the DOH Wednesday.
Firecracker blast injuries made up 98.3 percent of the injuries at 589, while nine were from stray bullets.
Metro Manila had the highest number of injuries with 345 while region IV-A had 50.
Minors were among the most common victims of firecrackers with 143 below the age of 10. This was attributed to the infamous piccolo firecracker.
Coloma said that they support DOH secretary Enrique Ona’s previous statement that the use of firecrackers should be allowed only as an activity managed by respective local governments and only in designated areas within their community.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.