Close to 600 injured by firecrackers in PH
MANILA, Philippines—Close to 600 people were injured by firecrackers as the Philippines welcomed the new year in a typically noisy fashion.
The Department of Health said Wednesday that the number of injuries was 40 percent higher compared to last year’s injuries and deaths caused by fireworks and stray bullets.
The banned powerful piccolo topped the list of injury culprits, the DOH said.
Health officials, including Undersecretaries Janet Garin and Ted Herbosa and Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag, said in a press briefing the latest data on firecracker-related injuries were recorded since the days leading up to New Year’s Eve revelry.
As of 6 a.m., the number of recorded injuries from December 21 until January 1 was at 599, the DOH said.
Of the 599, 143 were children aged 10 and below.
Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Rizal Avenue, Manila recorded the highest number of firecracker patients this year.
As of 8 a.m. Wednesday, there were already 87 cases of fireworks related injuries and gunshot wounds taken to the government hospital.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.