5 confirmed dead in Basilan bomb blast
ZAMBOANGA CITY – Five people were confirmed killed when a still undetermined type of explosive went off outside a house in Sumisip, Basilan, on Tuesday as the world was preparing to welcome the New Year, the police said Wednesday.
Earlier, Lt. Col. Paulo Perez, commanding officer of the army’s 18th
Infantry Battalion, reported that the blast in Tumahubong village in Sumisip town killed six, including a minor, and wounded six others.
But Senior Supt. Mario Dapilloza, Basilan provincial police director, said
only five people had been confirmed killed while five others were also injured in the 10 p.m. blast that took place just outside the house owned by Wikwik Haison, driver of the local parish.
Dapilloza identified the dead victims as Rey Limbin, Elbert Gomoba, Kitarul
Kaddik, Leniebel Cisneros and Lourdes Ablong. The ages of the victims were not provided.
Dapilloza said two of the five wounded victims were minors.
The victims were gathering outside the house as they were preparing to welcome the New Year when the explosion took place, he said.
Dapilloza said the motive and the identity of those behind the explosion remained unclear as of yet.
“The incident is still under investigation by the Sumisip police,” he said.
Perez said there were several angles being looked into.
The blast also took place near a Globe telecom cellular site in Sitio Pine Tree, Perez added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.