No kidnapping happened in Ateneo campus, police say
MANILA, Philippines — Police have debunked claims that a kidnapping transpired in the Ateneo de Manila campus last month, saying that it was a “kidnap-me” incident.
In a media briefing Wednesday, Philippine National Police spokesperson Reuben Theodore Sindac, quoting Quezon City Police District Chief Superintendent Richard Albano, said the parents of the alleged victim said that there had been a “misunderstanding” in the supposed abduction of their daughter.
Last November 21, a female college student of the Ateneo de Manila University was allegedly kidnapped around 6:30 p.m. in the North car park of the Ateneo Loyola Heights campus in Quezon City.
The administration of the university made a statement on Monday confirming the kidnapping incident but reiterated that the alleged victim was “unharmed and released with no ransom paid.”
Sindac, still quoting Albano, explained that the parents of the student found out that their daughter “made up stories for whatever personal intentions particularly financial problems.”
He said the parents have verbally apologized to the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group for the misunderstanding.
Ateneo Vice President Fr. Nemesio Que said in a statement Monday that the administration will tighten both short-term and long-term security measures inside the campus following the incident.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.