Close  

Habier Malik’s death not yet confirmed, say police, military leaders

/ 07:31 PM November 04, 2013

An image of Khabier Malik posted at the main entrance of Central Police Station in Zamboanga City. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO / EDWIN BACASMAS

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — Senior Supt. Edgar Danao, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group here expressed his belief in reports about Malik’s death.

“If he were still alive, matagal na yang nagpalabas ng video footage of him to taunt the troops, but so far wala. Umabot na ng isang buwan walang Malik na nagpapa-media (If he were still alive, he would have come out with a video already to taunt the troops but so far, nothing.  A month has passed but there has not been any Malik communicating through media),” Danao said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prof. Octavio Dinampo, former kidnapping victim and a peace advocate, admitted receiving reports that Malik could be dead.

Dinampo said that on the second week of the Zamboanga standoff, Malik was “already down with diabetes.”

“The blood sugar count went even higher to more than 600 when they reached Sulu on Sept 29. He fasted before Eidl Adha, but was reported to be in critical condition two or three weeks ago,” Dinampo, citing reports from sources on the ground, said.

Chief Insp. Ariel Huesca, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Regional Police, however, said “there was no official report that Malik is dead or alive.”

Huesca said Senior Insp. William Malinao, head of the team tasked to clear the conflict villages, has not reported that Malik was among the bodies being processed for identification.

Huesca said DNA tests would be needed to identify the bodies.

“So far, no one has come forward to secure the 166 cadavers,” he said.

Col. Johnson Jemar Aseron, commander of the 32nd Infantry Battalion, whose unit was the first to respond and last to leave the conflict area, said they also have not monitored any report of Malik being dead or alive.

Almost 200 bodies have been recovered from Barangays Santa Catalina, Rio Hondo, Santa Barbara and Talon-Talon – the villages that became  battlegrounds between government troops and MNLF forces.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar earlier said the “capture of Malik is essential in the resolution of the psyche, confidence and courage of every Zamboangueño.”

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Armed conflict, death, Habier Malik, Moro National Liberation Front, Moro rebellion, News, Philippine military, Philippine police, Regions, war casualties, Zamboanga City
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
sports

Overtime thrillers

September 16, 2019 05:09 AM

lifestyle

For its golden anniversary, CCP to stage show of shows

September 16, 2019 05:00 AM

business

Raid on Chinese-manned firm exposes cryptocurrency scam

September 16, 2019 04:59 AM

newsinfo

Rice farmers in Calabarzon find buyers in NFA, LGUs

September 16, 2019 04:59 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.