Comelec to suspend proclamation of winning bets with poll issues
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) will suspend the proclamations of winning candidates who have pending issues against them.
At a press conference on Monday, Comelec chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said that the proclamation of the following candidates would be delayed until their issues had been settled:
-not registered voters
-those with pending criminal convictions
Brillantes said there were about 300 candidates who were not registered voters, eight nuisance candidates and up to four with criminal convictions.
He said they are not disqualified and they will be given the necessary due process if they win.
“It will not yet be final,” Brillantes said.
“If that [nuisance candidate] will be proclaimed, it will become a different matter. It will have to be a protest,” he added.
He said they hope the cases would be settled by noon of November 30, or up until the term of the incumbent barangay officials.
There are 326,568 positions up for grabs in barangay levels nationwide, excluding Bohol and Zamboanga City.