Deleting pork barrel won’t help Senate’s bad image—Santiago | Inquirer News
Close  

Deleting pork barrel won’t help Senate’s bad image—Santiago

By: - Deputy Day Desk Chief / @TJBurgonioINQ
/ 05:12 PM October 15, 2013

Senator Miriam Defensor- Santiago. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Even if they come around to removing pork barrel provisions from the 2014 national budget, the image of the Senate is already in tatters and “beyond remedy” because of the pork barrel scandal, Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago said Tuesday.

Senate President Franklin Drilon claimed that several senators had written him of their desire to have their  pork barrel allocations excised from the P2.268-trillion proposed 2014 budget.

ADVERTISEMENT

But this might not be enough to refurbish the chamber’s soiled image, Santiago said.

“So far, it’s beyond remedy,” Santiago said in a telephone interview. “Every single Filipino wants to spit at a senator, including myself, within  spitting distance. Sirang-sira na kami (We’re severely damaged).”

FEATURED STORIES

“That’s why I’m not in a particular hurry to go back,” added the senator, who was on official leave due to chronic fatigue syndrome.

The only remedy is for the senators to “voluntarily resign” and give way to young people untainted by corruption, she said.

Senators Ramon Revilla Jr., Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile have been charged with plunder along with businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles and 34 others over the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

Shortly after being charge, Estrada divulged in a privilege speech that senators received P50 million in additional pork barrel after the Senate convicted Chief Justice Renato Corona of dishonesty in the preparation of his statement of assets, liabilities and net worth in May 2012.

Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said 20 senators received additional pork barrel amounting to P1.107 billion months after Corona’s conviction. He said this was coursed through the Disbursement Acceleration Program introduced in 2011.

Santiago, who voted against conviction along with now retired Senator Joker Arroyo and Ferdinand Marcos Jr., said the distribution of the additional pork barrel constituted bribery.

Santiago maintained that she was for either instant or gradual abolition of the pork barrel, but she wasn’t among those who had written Drilon that they wanted their PDAF allocations deleted from the 2014 budget.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Abolition must be universal.… We should make sure that what you renounce will go to the public,” she said.

The House of Representatives approved the budget on second reading last month, realigning Congress’ P25.2-billion pork barrel to the Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education, Department of Health, Department of Labor and Employment, Department of Social Welfare and Development, and Department of Public Works and Highways.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bong Revilla, DAP, Government, Graft and Corruption, Janet Lim Napoles, Jinggoy Estrada, Juan Ponce Enrile, Miriam Defensor-Santiago, PDAF, Politics, Pork barrel, pork barrel scam, Senate
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.