Derma surgeon Vicki Belo faces new charges | Inquirer News
Close  

Derma surgeon Vicki Belo faces new charges

/ 12:56 AM May 06, 2011

A BUSINESSWOMAN who sued Dr. Vicki Belo in 2009 over an alleged botched surgical procedure on Thursday filed more cases against the famed dermatologist.

In a four-page complaint filed with the Quezon City Prosecutor’s Office, Josefina Norcio charged Belo and two more doctors of the Belo Medical Group (BMG) with estafa and illegal medical practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Belo is the medical director of BMG.

Norcio, a resident of Cubao in Quezon City, had previously sued Belo and doctors Ronaldo Cayetano and Francis Decangchon over a butt enhancement procedure which she claimed nearly killed her and could leave her deformed for life.

FEATURED STORIES

However, the charges of estafa, reckless imprudence and violation of the Consumer Act she filed against the three doctors were dismissed last year by Assistant City Prosecutor Romana Lindayag del Rosario for lack of evidence.

The new case filed by Norcio is also based on the surgical procedure which was done in a BMG clinic in 2003 and 2005.

Norcio claimed that the hydrogel injected into her buttocks during the two occasions caused her to develop an infection, leading to her hospitalization.

She said that she had to undergo several operations in which doctors drained the hydrogel from her buttocks.

Although the injection of the substance was done by Cayetano and Decangchon, it was Belo who told her that butt augmentation was a safe procedure, Norcio added.

She also alleged in her complaint that the three doctors were not duly authorized to perform cosmetic surgery.

“Upon inquiries with the Philippine College of Surgeons, I learned that respondents are not fellows or members of the aforesaid college,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Norcio also claimed that the three were not members either of the Philippine Dermatological Society and Philippine Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons.

To prove her allegations, Norcio attached certifications from the three groups.

Contacted for comment, Leah Salterio, BMG spokesperson, told the Inquirer that they had yet to receive any subpoena or notice from the Quezon City Prosecutor’s Office or any court about the new case filed against them.

“With respect to the original case filed against us, the same has already been dismissed by the prosecutor’s office,” she said in a text message.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Crimes, dermatology, Judiciary
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.