BOPK-led barangays to receive aid
Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama yesterday ordered the release of unclaimed 2012 financial assistance to seven barangay captains who are allied with the Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan (BO-PK).
Rama said he was no longer angry at barangay captains of Tejero, Hipodromo, Calamba, Kamagayan, Toong, Parian and Labangon.
“Ato na lang silang pasayloon kay daug naman ko [We will just forgive them, anyway, I already won in the election],” Rama said.
He said he has changed his mind and would no longer be meeting with the seven barangay captains before releasing the fund.
Last year, he released the allocations of barangays whose captains are identified with his rival, then Cebu City south district representative Tomas Osmeña, but only after meeting with them and having them sign a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) outlining the use of the barangay assistance.
Rama foiled the comeback bid of Osmeña in the May 13 polls.
Barangay Tejero is set to receive P5.4 million; Hipodromo P5.2 million; Calamba P5.4 million; Kamagayan P3.5 million; Toong P3.7 million; Parian P3.5 million; and Labangon P8.7 million.
The barangay captains of the seven barangays sought the intervention of the Association of Barangay Councils during their general assembly last Saturday for the release of their assistance.
Rama clarified yesterday that he did not delay the release of the barangay assistance.
He said delays are either caused by late submissions of the barangay’s liquidation from last year’s assistance or delays in the signing of the MOA between City Hall and the recipient barangay.
The mayor tasked City Administrator Jose Marie Poblete to arrange the release of the assistance for the seven barangays. /Edison A. delos Angeles, Correspondent
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.