Lanao Sur makes history: No failure of elections
MANILA, Philippines—Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. was a happy bearer of good news on Wednesday: Balloting actually took place on Monday in Lanao del Sur.
“In the history of Lanao del Sur since 1987, there had always been … a failure of elections. For the very first time, in the elections of May 2013, there is no failure of elections in the entire province of Lanao del Sur,” Brillantes told reporters.
Lanao del Sur had been a perennial problem for the Comelec. Allegations of cheating and violence led to declarations of failure of elections in the past and special balloting had to be called in the province, one of the election hot spots this year.
However, Brillantes said a failure of elections might be declared in Lanao del Norte and another province, which he did not identify.
“We have received reports of possible failure of election (in the two provinces). We are waiting for the official report of our provincial election supervisors. If we decide to declare a formal failure of election, then we will hold a special election,” he said.
Brillantes also said the Comelec would bring ballots to Compostela Valley, after the ballots intended for one precinct there turned up in Baguio City.
He said that elections would be held in that clustered precinct in Compostela Valley because “it will affect the results” of the elections.
“There would be a continuation of the balloting in ComVal. There has to be notices so we are going to fix the date either Friday or Saturday for those voters in that particular precinct to tell them that there will be elections,” Brillantes said.—Nikko Dizon
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.