Store’s CCTV operator delivered fatal blow on suspected shoplifter | Inquirer News

Store’s CCTV operator delivered fatal blow on suspected shoplifter

/ 08:27 AM May 06, 2013

A solid blow to the chest snuffed out the life of Mario Alfie Ducayag.

This was revealed to Cebu Daily News over the weekend by, Melvin Boyles, one of the department store security guards, who claimed that his version of the April 12 incident that led to the death of the suspected shoplifter was the real truth as the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) continues with its probe.

“Kusog kaayo ang pagkaigo ni Alfie. Ni-utong gud siya. Na-shock ko sa nahitabo. Wala na ko kahibaw unsay buhaton. (Ducayag was hit hard. He held his breath in pain. I was shocked. I didn’t know what to do),” he said.


Boyles who was among those implicated in Ducayag’s death turned the tables on the supposed whistleblower, Jeffrey Aquino, whom he tagged as the one who manhandled the victim inside the security office of the Gaisano Metro-Colon.


He said he was bothered by his conscience that’s why he decided to finally tell everything that he knows about the incident.

“Mianhi ko aron motug-an sa tinuod. Gusto ko matagaan og hustisya ang kamatayon ni Alfie. (I came to the NBI to tell the truth. I want to help authorities give justice to Ducayag),” Boyles, 22, a house detective of the department store, said.

Ducayag was arrested by the store’s security guards after he was allegedly spotted slipping a pair of sandals in a shopping bag and was intercepted as he stepped out of the store. He was taken to the security office after he allegedly failed to produce a receipt for the sandals. Ducayag was rushed to the hospital minutes after his arrest and was declared dead.

Ducayag’s family sought the help of the NBI as they suspect that there was a whitewash on the probe done by the police. The family last week filed multiple complaints against Senior Supt. Nestor Sator of the PNP Crime Laboratory for allegedly coming up with a fraudulent autopsy report.

The police had earlier tried to file a complaint against Aquino, the store’s CCTV operator, but were prevented by the victim’s family from doing so.

Aquino had implicated the store’s chief security officer Mauricio Doblados as well as Boyles in the crime.


Boyles admitted that he and Doblados had made up the story that Ducayag had a seizure while being interrogated. He said they made the false testimony to allegedly save Aquino from any liability.

His revelation plus Aquino’s earlier testimony dovetails with the NBI findings that the victim did not die a natural death.


NBI Agent Bernard dela Cruz however noted some inconsistencies in Boyles’ testimonies but clarified that such things are just “normal.”

“We will take his statements at face value. We still have to compare it with the testimonies of other witnesses,” Dela Cruz told Cebu Daily News.

He said Aquino has promised to appear before the NBI-7 to likewise narrate his version of what happened to Ducayag.

Aquino, in an interview with CDN last week, said it was Doblados who actually killed Ducayag.

He said his only participation was to handcuff Ducayag and to call the nurse.

Aquino was arrested by the Cebu City police last Sunday based on the testimonies of Doblados and Boyles. But  was released a day after on the request of Ducayag’s family.

The Integrated Bar of the Philippines Cebu City chapter also considered the alleged “hot pursuit” arrest of Aquino as “improper.”

The NBI-7 urged those who were last seen with Ducayag to appear before the office but only Boyles did so thus far.

Based on his sworn statement before the NBI, Boyles said he was monitoring customers when the female bagger of cash counter 7 approached him and asked him to take a look at the surveillance cameras to find out if Ducayag had paid for the pair of sandals.

Ducayag reportedly went to counter 7 to ask for a receipt but the cashier could not remember transacting with him.

Boyles said he brought Ducayag to the security office located at the fourth floor of Gaisano Metro Colon.

When they arrived at the office, Boyles said he saw security guard Arnel Tanudra and Doblados who requested him to verify with counter 7 if indeed Ducayag paid for the sandals.

Boyles was told by the cashier that Ducayag didn’t pay for any footwear, which the house detective relayed to Doblados.

He said Doblados then confronted Ducayag about his alleged failure to pay for the sandals. In response, Ducayag purportedly raised his voice saying: “Nakabayad lagi ko. (I really paid for it.)”

While Ducayag was seated on a white plastic chair, Boyles said Doblados peered at the window of the CCTV room and requested Aquino to bring out a handcuff.

“I did not noticed how Aquino handcuffed Ducayag. What I saw was Aquino kicked the abdomen of Ducayag. I also saw Aquino throwing consecutive punches to the side of Ducayag’s body,” Boyles said in his sworn statement.

While Ducayag was being beaten up, he said he urged Aquino to stop.

“(But) Aquino again threw his knee at the lower center of Ducayag’s chest while holding the latter’s shoulders. That knee throw was very hard. Ducayag held his breath and fell sideways on the floor unconscious,” Boyles said.

He said he didn’t know what to do when he saw what happened.

“The incident happened so fast. I was shocked and speechless,” he said.

Boyles said Doblados told Aquino to stop beating up Ducayag. But Aquino took an electric cord and whipped the victim while saying “Drama ra na. (He’s just acting).”

“At that moment, I saw bubbles coming out of Ducayag’s mouth. I was shocked. I didn’t know what to do. My body became numb,” said Boyles.

He said Doblados and Tanudra went out of the security office . When Doblados went back, Boyles and another employee were instructed to lift Ducayag and make him sit on a wooden chair.

While holding Ducayag’s body, Boyles said he noticed that the victim’s head was slanted to the side.

“Luoy lagi kaayo. (He was pitiful),” Boyles told Cebu Daily News in an interview.

He said Doblados instructed Aquino to call the company nurse while he removed the handcuff from the victim’s hands.

Moments later, paramedics from the Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation (Eruf) arrived and took the victim to the Cebu City Medical Center. Boyles said he, Aquino, and lady guard Margie Gaser accompanied the paramedics all the way to the hospital where Ducayag was declared dead on arrival.

Because of the incident, Boyles said his employer, Negrense Security Agency, had suspended him

Doblados and Tanudra, who were employed by Metro Gaisano, were also suspended pending an administrative probe against them.

On the other hand, Gaisano Metro officials continue to discuss how to deal with Aquino whose employment contract expired last April 22.

Aquino’s lawyer Salvador Solima said he already advised his client to appear before the NBI to testify on what he saw.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

“He just needs to tell the truth. I’m willing to accompany him to the NBI,” he said. /Ador Vincent Mayol, Reporter

TAGS: CCTV, Crime, robbery

© Copyright 1997-2024 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.