Only one of 35 fire-affected families OK’d relocation
OF the 35 families affected by the fire in sitio Sapasapa Dos, barangay Subangdaku, Mandaue last Thursday, only one family agreed to transfer to the relocation site provided by the city government in Paknaan, Basak.
Tony Pet Juanico of Mandaue City Housing and Urban Development Office (HUDO) said that they are advising the fire victim not to rebuild their homes in the fire prone area and instead avail of the city government’s relocation program.
But Juanico said only one family wants to relocate to the city government’s relocation site in Paknaan.
HUDO consultant Francisco Amit Jr. said that it would be practical for the fire victims not to rebuild their houses since the location is one of the identified danger zones in Mandaue City.
“Actually two years ago, the residents of the place already received a Notice of Demolition. But we (HUDO) have our standing policy to have a humane demolition which is only possible if the people would volunteer.
The 6.5 hectares relocation site in Paknaan that was opened last year is one of the projects of the National Government’s Community Mortgage Program.
It already identified 1,200 families; some of them are informal settlers living in identified danger zones in Mandaue City like the places near Mahiga Creek and Butuanon River.
When asked if what would be their plans if the victims who refused to accept the relocation would begin to re-build, Juanico said their office would still have to consult with the barangay captain of Sapasapa Dos.
As of now, the city government has already built tents for the victims and provided food aid enough for three days./UP Intern Apple Ta-as