Comelec officially bans campaign motorcades on 22 Metro roads
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has officially banned motorcades and all other forms of campaigning along 22 major thoroughfares in Metro Manila.
In Resolution no 9666 issued Thursday, the poll body prohibits all campaign related activities in the following major roads and highways: Edsa, C-5 Avenue, Quezon Avenue, Marcos Highway, Commonwealth Avenue, España Boulevard, E. Rodriguez Sr. Avenue, Ramon Magsaysay Avenue, President Quirino Avenue, Aurora Boulevard, Ortigas Avenue, Shaw Boulevard, MIA Road, Domestic Road, Andrews Avenue, South Superhighway, Taft Avenue, Roxas Boulevard, Araneta Avenue, A.H. Lacson street, Rizal Avenue, and A. Bonifacio Avenue.
Aside from motorcades, rallies, caravans, and other campaign-related activities are also prohibited on the major throughfares, the resolution said.
The resolution was crafted with the cooperation of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) which will also be the agency deputized by Comelec to enforce the resolution.
Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. previously said in interviews with reporters that they wanted to regulate motorcades in order to prevent traffic congestion.
Candidates will be required to give prior notice to the MMDA regarding their motorcades in addition to the permit they have to obtain from the local government unit so that a traffic rerouting scheme can be set for the convenience of motorists.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.