Aquino asked to reveal information on Jonas Burgos disappearance | Inquirer News
Close  

Aquino asked to reveal information on Jonas Burgos disappearance

/ 09:47 AM April 02, 2013

WHERE’S JONAS? After almost six years of fruitless search, this photo of Jonas Burgos, reportedly taken days after he was abducted, has surfaced, with the handkerchief used as blindfold still around his neck. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Militant group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) called on President Benigno Aquino III to order the military to disclose all information on the disappearance of activist Jonas Burgos.

“There is a renewed clamor for the Armed Forces of the Philippines to surface Jonas and to reveal all information related to his abduction. As commander-in-chief, it is the duty of Aquino to ensure that the AFP cooperates fully with the courts and other institutions. Aquino’s silence or lack of interest can mean that he is tolerating the cover-up. So far the statement made by the AFP spokesman– that the AFP will cooperate–sounds more like an April Fool’s joke than a declaration of policy,” said Bayan secretary general Renato M. Reyes Jr. in a statement Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Monday, the family of Burgos asked the Supreme Court to re-open the case surrounding the activist’s disappearance, and submitted new pieces of evidence, the AFP records on Burgos in a sealed envelope.

Also, in a ruling in March, the Court of Appeals held the military accountable for Burgos’ disappearance.

FEATURED STORIES

“Aquino must give clear and firm instructions to AFP Chief of Staff General Emmanuel Bautista to fully disclose all information on the abduction of Jonas . The AFP can do this even without any court order. The AFP cannot feign ignorance. The AFP must reveal the truth. Already, there is new evidence coming to light pointing to the involvement of the military,” he added.

“On this matter, the President must impress on the entire AFP leadership, that it is now time to come clean. It is time to end the cover-up. More than the sorties of the Liberal Party, this matter deserves the utmost attention of the President,” it said.

The AFP on Monday vowed cooperation should it be required by higher authorities.

“It is well within their constitutional rights to file such motion in the proper court. Rest assured that we will continue to monitor the developments of the case, and we will remain open shall the higher civilian authority requires our cooperation and service,” it said in a statement.

The military also reiterated that it would not tolerate “violation of basic and constitutional rights of individuals.” Frances Mangosing

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benigno Aquino III, Government, Jonas Burgos, Military, Politics
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.