12 senatorial bets notified as Comelec intensifies crackdown on illegal campaign posters
MANILA, Phillippines – At least 12 senatorial candidates have been notified by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) as it continues its crackdown on illegal campaign posters all over the country.
Records of the Comelec law department, as of February 25, identified the violators as:
* Former Akbayan partylist Representative Risa Hontiveros, for her posters on prohibited areas in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental;
* Bayan Muna Representative Teodoro “Teddy” Casino, for several posters in prohibited areas in Don Antonio Heights, Quezon City and along C.P. Garcia Avenue also in Quezon City;
* Aurora Representative Edgardo “Sonny” Angara, for his posters in prohibited locations in Zamboanga City;
Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, for illegally placed posters found in Tondo, Manila;
* Former Puerto Princesa, Palawan mayor Edward Hagedorn, for a large-scale billboard on a building along Osmena Highway in Manila;
* Cagayan Representative Juan Ponce Enrile Jr., for his posters found on prohibited areas in Nueva Vizcaya;
* Former Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri, for posters in prohibited places in Toro Hills, Project 8, Quezon City;
* Nancy Binay, for posters along Magallanes Avenue, Makati City;
* Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III, for a poster showing the senatorial candidates of Team PNoy found along the West Service Road, Sun Vally Subd, Paranaque City;
* Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero and former senator Maria Ana Consuelo “Jamby” Madrigal, were also given notices for their posters also found along the West Service Road, Sun Valley Subdivision, Paranaque City; and
* Paolo Benigno “Bam” Aquino IV, for his poster on prohibited areas in Kamuning, Quezon City.
The Comelec has tapped social media and netizens for its #SumbongKo peoples’ initiative to crack down on illegal campaign materials.
Director James Jimenez of the Education and Information Department said that posters should not be in public structures such as waiting sheds, electric poles, trees, walls, etc. or on public vehicles such as jeepneys, tricycles, buses, etc.
Netizens are urged to take pictures and report all illegal posters they see through twitter @Comelec with hashtag #SumbongKo or through their website https://mycomelec.tv/campaignrules/