Revilla files resolution to probe Atimonan ‘shootout’
MANILA, Philippines – A resolution formally directing the Senate to conduct an investigation into the alleged shootout in Atimonan, Quezon was filed by Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. Monday.
“It is hereby resolved to direct the appropriate Senate Committees to conduct an investigation, in aid of legislation, on the shooting incident which happened in Atimonan, Quezon last 6 January 2013 that killed 13 people,” Revilla said in the resolution.
Among the 13 killed in the alleged shootout were three police officers and three military personnel. The casualties were all believed by law enforcement authorities to be members of a gun-for-hire group.
On January 6, a checkpoint had been set up to intercept them and an alleged shootout broke out between them and the police when the group tried to evade the checkpoint.
The resolution cited initial findings from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) that contradicts the findings of a separate investigation being conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP).
“Latest reports say that it is apparent that no more than six of the 13 fatalities may have had guns in their hands during the shootout and it is possible that there was no exchange of gunfire,” Revilla said.
He also cited reports that the guns recovered from the scene “were possibly planted to make it appear that those killed were armed.”
“The sheer number of people dead in the incident, and considering the above mentioned, makes an investigation imperative so that related legislations may be passed and/or amended as the need arise,” Revilla said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.