Cebu clergy uncomfortable about fund drive
TWO top Cebu church officials voiced their opposition to a fund drive pushed by former Manila City mayor Lito Atienza to buy vehicles for the seven bishops who returned their government-issued units..
Msgr. Achilles Dakay, media liason officer of the Cebu Archdiocese, said Atienza’s “Funds for Church Unity” campaign that has drawn political leaders may cast the Catholic church in a negative light before the public.
Dakay said there’s no need for the fund drive since the bishops can raise money through their own initiatives.
He said parishes can have a second collection after Mass if they need to acquire vehicles for ministry work.
The program was launched by Atienza last week, along with election lawyer Romulo Macalintal and Dr. Ed Capulong.
They are asking P1 contributions from ordinary citizens and celebrities.
Among those who contributed were Sen. Francis Escudero who gave P100,000 and Sen. Vicente Sotto III who donated P200,000.
Party-list Rep. Mikey Arroyo sent P50,000.
Last Saturday, Atienza visited Cebu where he promoted the program after a Mass intended for the campaign against the Reproductive Health bill held at Sto. Rosario Parish.
Msgr. Esteban Binghay, episcopal vicar, said they have no control over those who wish to contribute to the drive.
But Binghay said the fund drive should have been launched at a separate forum to avoid misleading parishioners into thinking the Catholic Church supports it.
“Personally, I wouldn’t accept the ‘gifts’ that they would come up with unless they make clear their motivations in this campaign,” he said in Cebuano. Correspondent Patricia Andrea Patena
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.