Reporters in trouble for covering Murdoch pie attack
LONDON — It was a splat heard around the world.
But two journalists who covered the aftermath of Tuesday’s shaving cream attack on Rupert Murdoch were briefly suspended from working in the British Parliament on Wednesday, after falling afoul of authorities there.
One of those suspended was BBC producer Paul “Gobby” Lambert, who captured the assailant being dragged away by police.
Lawmaker Louise Mensch told the House of Commons that officials had revoked Lambert’s parliamentary pass for breaking strict rules on where journalists can film.
The Press Association news agency said its reporter Theo Usherwood was also suspended for covering the same incident.
A “Save Gobby” campaign erupted on Twitter, with lawmakers and journalists offering support.
The BBC said it was “looking into this matter with the House authorities” — and officials later said the two men’s passes had been restored.
The office of Speaker John Bercow said that although the journalists had broken the rules, they had done so in “unprecedented and unpredicted” circumstances.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.