Rubber boats bought at height of ‘Ondoy’ three times higher than those for SAF—DILG
MANILA, Philippines – The rubber boats and outboard motor engines purchased at the height of Typhoon “Ondoy” in 2009 were three times higher than the boats and engines that went to the Special Action Force also on that same year, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo said on Tuesday.
“The rubber boats and outboard motors [that went to SAF] cost half a million. The next ones [rubber boats and outboard motor engines for rescue operations during Typhoon Ondoy] were bought at P1.6 million…. The [ones bought at] half a million are working while the [ones that cost] P1.6 million are not used,” Robredo said, adding, “We need to get to the bottom of this.” Ro
Robredo also said that the head of the bids and awards committee, now retired Police Director Jefferson Soriano, was also responsible for the purchase of the controversial helicopters in 2009.
Two of the seven-member BAC are now retired, but everyone, retired or active, will still be subject to investigation and will be charged appropriately, Robredo said.
The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group director Samuel Pagdilao Jr said last week that he has formed an investigating team to investigate the purchase of rubber boats and outboard motor engines in 2009 at the height of Ondoy. These boats and engines turned out to be incompatible and could not be used.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.