outbrain
Close  

31 Chinese fishermen missing as typhoon hits S. Korea

/ 09:39 AM August 28, 2012

[wpgmappity id=”658″]

SEOUL–More than 30 Chinese fishermen were missing after two boats sank Tuesday when a strong typhoon hit South Korea, coastguard officers said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A total of 31 crew members were aboard the boats which went down in gale-force winds and high waves off the southern island of Jeju, they said.

An earlier report by the Yonhap news agency had placed the figure at 34.

FEATURED STORIES

The state weather agency issued a typhoon warning early Tuesday for Seoul, the capital of about 10 million people, as the storm named Bolaven continued moving northwards.

The typhoon brought heavy rain and strong winds to southern and western areas of the country, cutting power and bringing down street lights and church spires.

Schools in Jeju were closed or reduced classes Monday and many schools in other provinces were to be closed Tuesday, Yonhap reported.

The US and South Korean military called a temporary halt to a large-scale joint military exercise that began last week, the news agency said.

Click here for more weather related news.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chinese fishermen, Jeju Island, South korea, Typhoon
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.