House panel backs speedy Sara Duterte impeachment trial

House panel backs speedy Sara Duterte impeachment trial, due process

/ 06:18 PM August 20, 2026
As the House prosecution panel on Thursday expressed support for Vice President Sara Duterte's call for a speedy impeachment trial, it emphasized that the proceedings and decisions must be handled with due process. 
Vice President Sara Duterte’s Senate impeachment trial Day 15 in Pasay City, August 12. Niño Jesus Orbeta, Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines — As the House prosecution panel on Thursday expressed support for Vice President Sara Duterte’s call for a speedy impeachment trial, it emphasized that the proceedings and decisions must be handled with due process. 

House prosecution spokesperson and Lanao del Sur Rep. Zia Alonte Adiong and House prosecution legal spokesperson made these statements following Duterte’s comment, in which she hoped for a speedy trial. 

In an interview on Wednesday, Duterte said prolonging the impeachment proceedings may lead the public to think the accusations against her are not true at all. The impeachment trial has been delayed for days because of inclement weather. 

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Sara Duterte: I’m fully represented, no reason to attend trial

FEATURED STORIES

“Kaisa kami sa kagustuhan na matapos natin itong proseso na ito sa lalong madaling panahon, but of course, yung speedy disposition of the cases, hindi ibig sabihin nyan kailangan natin siyang madaliin at the expense of having the opportunity to fully present our case by presenting the evidence that we think are needed,” Tolosa said in an online press briefing. 

(We join her call for a speedy trial, but of course, in the speedy disposition of the cases, it does not mean that we should expedite it at the expense of having the opportunity to fully present our case by presenting the evidence that we think are needed.)

Since the proceedings began last July 16, the impeachment court has spent 16 out of 92 trial days so far. The trial is held from Monday to Wednesday, beginning at 10 a.m. every week. 

Tolosa said the prosecution panel is fast-tracking the proceedings, citing instances where the panel dispensed with several witnesses under the grave threats allegations and presented only three witnesses from the National Bureau of Investigation. 

Article continues after this advertisement

Adiong echoed Tolosa’s remark, saying that removing witnesses from the intended list shows the panel wants to expedite the trial to avoid repetitive testimonies. 

Adiong also said that there is nothing wrong in hoping for a speedy trial, as long as it does not compromise both the prosecution and defense teams.

Article continues after this advertisement

“Ang gusto natin, speedy pero ang sinasabi natin dito, yung promptness and speedy disposition of the court’s decision can go hand in hand with due process,” the lawmaker said in the same press briefing. 

(We want a speedy trial, but what we are saying here is that the promptness and speedy disposition of the court’s decision can go hand in hand with due process.)

On the other hand, while the suspension of the trial due to bad weather was beyond everyone’s control, Tolosa noted that certain actions by the defense team caused delays. 

He cited an instance when the defense team decided to schedule the cross-checking of over 4,000 acknowledgment receipts (ARs) on August 14, despite the Senate impeachment court’s order to conduct it before August 10. This came after the defense team refused to stipulate the ARs.

“Maganda kung pare-pareho naming susubukan na makaiwas na gumawa ng anumang bagay na makacause ng necessary delay,” Tolosa added.

(It’s better if we both try to refrain from doing things that will cause necessary delay.)

READ: Witness: Security chief got P125M on VP’s order

Duterte’s personal attendance

Adiong and Tolosa reaffirmed their earlier statements that Duterte’s personal attendance in the trial is important as it shows respect to the proceedings. However, Duterte on Wednesday maintained that she has no reason to attend her trial as she is already represented by her counsel.

Tolosa said the prosecution acknowledges that, under the rules, Duterte may attend the trial in person or through her counsel. 

“Hindi rin natin pwedeng hindi pakinggan yung sentimyento ng kababayan natin na maraming nagsasabi na maganda rin na humarap siya nang personal para ipakita ang respeto sa napakahalagang institutional process na ito, respeto sa impeachment proceedings which are being done as one of the highest accountability mechanisms under the Constitution,” Tolosa emphasized. 

(We can’t just listen to the sentiments of our fellow citizens wanting her to appear in person to show respect to this important institutional process, respect to the impeachment proceedings which is being done as one of the highest accountability mechanisms under the Constitution.)

Adiong then said that her personal appearance is important, especially after Gina Acosta, then special disbursing officer of the Office of the Vice President, said during the trial that Duterte instructed her to release the P125 million worth of confidential funds to her security chief, Col. Raymund Lachica. 

“Ito ay dumadagdag sa panawagan ng taumbayan na ngayon ay sinasabi natin na the burden of proof shifted to the defense. Miski kung ano pang itanong kay Gina Acosta, her answer would only lead to the VP being the one calling the shots,” Adiong added. 

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

(This adds to the call of the public where we’re saying that the burden of proof shifted to the defense. Whatever we ask to Gina Acosta, her answer would only lead to the VP being the one calling the shots.) /jpv

TAGS: House of Representatives, News, Sara Duterte impeachment

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved