Recurring digital threats trigger alert in Bukidnon high school

MALAYBALAY CITY, Bukidnon — Authorities tightened security at the Malaybalay City National Science High School (MCNSHS) along the Aglayan-Zamboanguita Road after students received a violent shooting threat via Facebook Messenger on Wednesday morning.
The online threat, which circulated at around 10 a.m., targeted Grade 7 to Grade 12 students and prompted an immediate campuswide emergency lockdown.
School principal Pastor Abejuela II said the administration secured all students inside their classrooms and alerted the Philippine National Police (PNP) and barangay public safety officers.
READ: School drills vs active shooters must be done regularly, says Angara
Responding officers inspected classrooms and used metal detectors to check students’ bags before declaring the school safe.
Afternoon classes for Grades 11 and 12 resumed after authorities gave the all-clear, although several anxious parents chose to sign out and fetch their children early.
Investigators said the Messenger account used in the incident was the same account behind a July 27 bomb threat sent to MCNSHS teachers, which had earlier prompted an inspection by an Explosive Ordnance Disposal K9 unit.
The PNP Cybercrime Division is leading the investigation into the online threat, looking into possible scenarios such as account hacking or identity theft.
In response to the repeated threats, Malaybalay police chief Lt. Col. Joepet Paglinawan ordered daily police visibility along the highway near the school.
The school administration has also intensified unannounced bag inspections, which recently led to the confiscation of prohibited items, including knives, brass knuckles, cigarettes and vapes.
Abejuela urged the parents of the school’s 2,271 students to remain calm and cooperate with law enforcement and school officials as the investigation continues. /das