‘Missing comma’ councilor to be proclaimed Kalinga topnotcher

BAGUIO CITY — A missing comma almost cost a Kalinga councilor the seat he won during the recent midterm elections.
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) en banc has ordered the Special City Board of Canvassers (SCBOC) of Tabuk City in Kalinga to proclaim Errol Bangloy Comafay Jr. as the top-ranking city councilor following a Supreme Court decision reversing the cancellation of his certificate of candidacy (COC).
The Comelec Second Division had cancelled Comafay’s COC in a Feb. 6, 2025 resolution because of Comafay’s failure to properly use a comma in his stated residential address, which the poll body said was a form of “material misrepresentation.”
READ: SC reverses Comelec ruling vs Kalinga bet in ‘missing comma’ case
The resolution was affirmed by the Comelec en banc on April 4, 2025, after denying Comafay’s motion for reconsideration.
The Supreme Court, however, in a Jan. 14 decision, ruled that the omission of a comma in Comafay’s stated address did not amount to a false statement. It reversed and set aside the Comelec Second Division and en banc resolutions.
The Supreme Court decision in G.R. No. 279413, Errol B. Comafay Jr. vs. Commission on Elections and Paquinto B. Sallaya, became final and executory on June 19.
In a July 31 writ of execution, the Comelec ordered the SCBOC to annul the earlier proclamation of 10 Tabuk City Sangguniang Panlungsod members and issue a new proclamation based on the amended Statement of Votes by Precinct.
The revised ranking places Comafay first, followed by Lucretina Sarol, Marc Ranier Duguiang, Ivan Yannick Bagayao, Zorayda Mia Wacnang, Juan Thomas Duyan, Eduardo Sacayle, Samuel Suma-al, Abraham Licaycay and Jayferson Bon-as.
Vicente Martinez, who was previously proclaimed, has been dropped from the revised list.
The Comelec ordered the SCBOC to convene on Aug. 10 at the Comelec session hall in Manila to implement the writ.
Comafay, in an online interview, said the Comelec order complied with the high court ruling that says he was qualified to serve as a Tabuk City councilor.
He accused unnamed individuals of trying to prevent him from assuming office, saying they knew he would oppose corruption at City Hall once he takes his seat.
“This is proof that the will of the majority cannot be thwarted by a few,” Comafay said, adding that the development was a victory for Tabuk residents hoping for change in government./coa