Alan Cayetano bares alleged coup plot against him

MANILA, Philippines — Newly-installed Senate President Alan Cayetano bared on Thursday an alleged ouster move against him.
“They’re a bit busy right now trying to talk to our members and convince them to join them again,” Cayetano said in a press briefing in the Senate where he mentioned his plan to consult the minority group about the impeachment case against Vice President Sara Duterte.
Asked if he was talking about another coup against his leadership, “Yeah. That’s expected.”
“There’s an invitation to talk. There’s intimidation, but they were already scared anyway,” Cayetano said.
Further asked if the 13-member majority bloc remains solid, the Senate chief said: “You’re only solid until you’re not. But I believe in the 13. I believe in our cause.”
It was just last Monday when Cayetano was installed as Senate president, replacing Vicente “Tito” Sotto III.
Notably on the same day, the House of Representatives voted 257-25-9 to impeach Vice President Sara Duterte.
Contrary to speculations that the change in leadership was meant to block the impeachment of Duterte, Cayetano said he was trying to unite the Senate.
However, he learned just this Thursday morning that there are some senators who are trying to get his supporters on their side.
“I told the person I was talking with, ‘Tell them to come see me and join us,’ he said, without naming those who had been approaching his allies. /apl
(Note: The English translations in the article were AI-generated.)