Another illegal mining operation dismantled in South Cotabato

KORONADAL CITY – Authorities dismantled another illegal “banlas,” or sluice mining operation, in the mountains of Tampakan, South Cotabato, as part of an intensified crackdown against illegal mining in the area.
Tampakan Mayor Leonard Escobillo said Monday that the local government, together with police forces, raided a banlas site in Sitio Kampo Kilot, Barangay Pulabato, following reports of renewed illegal mining activities there.
It may be recalled that in August last year, two individuals allegedly involved in banlas operations were killed in Sitio Kampo Kilot after being swept away by rampaging floodwaters.
READ: 2 suspected illegal miners dead in South Cotabato town flash flood
Escobillo said the team conducted a two-day operation from March 28 to 29 at the site, where they seized and destroyed equipment used in the illegal mining operation. The destroyed items include PE pipes, flexible hoses, sluice boxes, and screens, among others.
“This coordinated effort reflects the strong commitment of local authorities and partner agencies to protect the environment and uphold the rule of law,” he said.
Banlas, or sluice mining—a highly destructive mining method—involves pouring large amounts of water onto a mountain’s surface to loosen soil and rocks to extract gold ore, which is then panned using mercury.
The site is within the mining tenement of Sagittarius Mines Inc. (SMI), a developer of the controversial Tampakan project, touted as the largest undeveloped copper and gold mine field in Southeast Asia.
READ: Marcos, South Cotabato execs urged to crack whip on destructive mining
Jose Sebua, president of the Kampo Kilot Farmers Association, earlier said that at least six individuals had been killed for allegedly engaging in banlas operations in Sitio Kampo Kilot since 2012.
He lamented that banlas operations have been polluting rivers crisscrossing the mountains of Tampakan.
He said the operations have turned the rivers murky brown and contaminated the water with mercury used by illegal miners.
Waters from the rivers in Sitio Kampo Kilot flow into Lake Buluan, passing through the Topland River in this city.
Lake Buluan straddles the towns of Lutayan in Sultan Kudarat and Buluan in Maguindanao del Sur.
Escobillo said the latest operation “underscores the unified stand of the community and its leaders against illegal mining and its harmful effects on the environment.”
“Continuous vigilance and cooperation remain essential in safeguarding our natural resources for future generations,” the mayor said.
No arrests were reported in the latest operation against the banlas mining in the sitio.
South Cotabato Gov. Reynaldo Tamayo Jr. earlier said it “was too hard to curb banlas mining due to the site’s remote location,” noting that with accessible communication, those involved are often alerted to raids and flee before authorities arrive./coa