Richard Gomez’s SEA Games conduct ground for ethics raps

Richard Gomez’s SEAG conduct ground for House ethics raps, says solon

/ 10:40 PM December 19, 2025
Rep. Richard Gomez
Leyte 4th District Rep. Richard Gomez. Photo from Richard Gomez facebook page

MANILA, Philippines — The actions of Leyte 4th District Rep. Richard Gomez — allegedly attacking and verbally abusing Philippine Fencing Association (PFA) president Rene Gacuma — can be used as grounds for an ethics complaint, Bicol Saro party-list Rep. Terry Ridon said on Friday.

Ridon, in a press briefing at the Batasang Pambansa complex, said that hitting a senior citizen — or any person for that matter — is not an action expected of lawmakers.

“I think so,” Ridon, speaking in mixed Filipino and English, said when asked if the allegations against Gomez can be part of an ethics rap.  “It seems to impinge on the reputation and the dignity of the House, if House members are allowed to do that, right?”

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: After silver win, Richard Gomez back in SEAG news for assault, threats

FEATURED STORIES

“I think House members should not do that, to hit the nape of elders, or hit anyone for that matter,” he added.

According to Ridon, anyone can file an ethics complaint, and he expects raps to be filed since the PFA president supposedly said that they would not enter into any agreement with Gomez.

“So, I think, there would be someone who would file an ethics complaint — and I think private persons like the PFA President can actually do it, especially since they said they would not settle amicably, there would be no apologies, so, I’m quite certain the PFA President will actually file an ethics complaint against Congressman Gomez,” he said.

When asked what possible penalty would be imposed on Gomez — especially in light of the House of Representatives’ decision to suspend Cavite 4th District Rep. Francisco “Kiko” Barzaga over “incendiary social media contents” — Ridon begged off as it will be up to the House committee on ethics and privileges.

Article continues after this advertisement

“Of course, it’s up to the committee and the House plenary to decide as to what they should do,” he noted.

Gacuma on Thursday accused Gomez of “physically attacking and verbally threatening” him during the 33rd Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

Article continues after this advertisement

In a letter to Thailand SEA Games chef de mission Raul Canlas, Gacuma detailed Gomez’s alleged actions following the PFA board’s decision to replace Alexa Larazzabal in the Individual Women’s Epee event.

According to Gacuma, Gomez allegedly showed “clear resentment and anger” after learning about the athlete’s replacement during the team dinner on Dec. 15, going so far as to make several threats:

“I’m in Pattaya, which is two hours away, but I’ll come after you!” he quoted Gomez as saying in FIlipino.

“I’ll bring all the PFA directors to Congress to see if you can still get funding,” Gomez allegedly said.

Video footage being shared on social media then showed a man, alleged to be Gome,z confronting Gacuma at the Fashion Island tournament venue last Tuesday.

“Atty. Mike Abundo, Mr. Chips Dayrit and myself went down from our seats in the gallery to present ourselves with the intention of also congratulating his recent silver medal achievement in the shooting event… When I extended my right hand to congratulate Mr. Gomez, he planted his right foot heavily on my left foot, to limit my mobility,” said Gacuma.

“He squeezed my right thumb very hard like he wanted to dislocate it and simultaneously said, ‘Who gave you the authority to replace that athlete!? Did you bring this up at the Board Meeting in my presence?” he added, further narrating that Gomez also cursed at him.

Gacuma said he was able to release his foot only after PFA Administrative Officer Sally Aramburo attempted to de-escalate the situation.

“As I turned my back on him to leave, he reached out to strike the back of my head (nape area) with what I felt was a hard, closed-fist right hook. Let me reiterate that my back was already turned away from him,” Gacuma said.

READ: Leyte Rep. Richard Gomez claims getting death threats

Gacuma said he sought medical attention after experiencing a spike in blood pressure and claimed Gomez followed him and continued issuing threats. He added in the letter that he has a heart pacemaker and is a quadruple bypass survivor, and that medical personnel recorded his blood pressure at 220/180.

Due to this, Gacuma said he intends to consult with a legal counsel about filing charges against Gomez.

Gomez in response said he does not deny the “ungentlemanly deeds” against Gacuma, but said that he also hopes that Gacuma would not “deny that the decision that he and other PFA Directors made to deny Alexa Larrazabal the honor of competing for the Philippines in Individual Women’s Épée was in fact, unjust, unwarranted and damaging to Alexa, the team, and the country’s overall results in the 33rd SEA Games.”

According to Gomez, the PFA’s actions are inconsistent as Larrazabal was removed from the Individual Women’s Épée but was made anchor in the team event.

“It seems very inconsistent that the PFA leadership removed Alexa from Individual Women’s Épée for their lack of confidence in her skill yet they make her anchor in today’s team event?” Gomez asked.

“On the one hand they are saying that she is not good enough for Women’s Individuals but on the other hand, by making her Épée team anchor they are affirming that she is indeed the strongest and most reliable player, who can play the decisive bouts. Mr. Gacuma perhaps needs clarity in this respect,” he added.

Under the 20th Congress, the committee on ethics and privilege has released a decision on only one ethics complaint — that of Barzaga.  Last December 1, the House plenary decided to suspend Barzaga for 60 days after 249 House lawmakers voted in favor of adopting the committee’s recommendations, with only five voting in the negative, and 11 abstaining.

Committee chairperson and 4Ps party-list Rep. JC Abalos said that Barzaga’s actions in his social media page were deemed as conduct “unbefitting of a House member.”

Abalos also said in his explanation of the committee recommendation that if Barzaga fails to remove the social media posts within 24 hours, there is a possibility that graver penalties will be imposed.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Eventually, Barzaga took down 24 social media posts deemed by the committee as containing lewd images and an ostentatious display of wealth. /mr

TAGS: Richard Gomez, SEA games

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved