Napolcom sacks 7 Caloocan cops over illegal arrest

Napolcom sacks 7 Caloocan cops over illegal arrest, grave misconduct

/ 12:42 PM December 10, 2025
During the NAPOLCOM hearing at the DILG Building on December 10, attended by Cardinal Pablo Virgilio David and Commissioner Rafael Calinisan, the commission ordered the dismissal of the police officers involved in the case linked to the arrest of the altar boy’s father, Jayson dela Rosa, which reportedly led the child to wade through floodwaters while searching for him. The boy later died after contracting leptospirosis. — Photo from Roman Catholic Bishop of Kalookan/Facebook
Caloocan Bishop Cardinal Pablo Virgilio David talks during a hearing of the National Police Commission at the Department of the Interior and Local Government building on Wednesday, December 10, 2025. — Photo from Roman Catholic Bishop of Kalookan/Facebook

[Updated Dec. 10, 2025, 3:15 p.m.]

MANILA, Philippines — The National Police Commission (Napolcom) has ordered the dismissal of seven Caloocan police officers over the illegal arrest and detention of Jayson dela Rosa, whose case drew public attention after his son died of leptospirosis while he was unable to return home.

Napolcom Vice Chair and Executive Officer Atty. Rafael Calinisan announced the ruling on Wednesday, saying the commission reached a unanimous decision during deliberations last weekend to remove all officers involved from the police service.

Article continues after this advertisement

According to the Napolcom decision, the dismissed officers were charged with grave misconduct, grave dishonesty, oppression, incompetence, and conduct unbecoming of a police officer.

FEATURED STORIES

The Commission filed the administrative cases in September against seven Caloocan police officers over the alleged illegal detention of Dela Rosa. 

The cases cover a police captain, a police lieutenant, a police master sergeant, three police staff sergeants, and a police corporal. 

While the Commission identified the dismissed officers in its decision, the Inquirer is withholding their names pending efforts to seek their comments.

“This is a strong message that abuses in the ranks of the PNP will not be tolerated,” Calinisan said in a press briefing in Quezon City, referring to the Philippine National Police.

Article continues after this advertisement

He was joined by Caloocan Bishop Virgilio “Ambo” David, Napolcom Legal Affairs Service acting director Mylene Eguilos-Caluya.

Dela Rosa was initially picked up in Caloocan in July for alleged theft. He was held for days without being properly processed or presented to his family — preventing him from seeing his son, an altar boy who later died of leptospirosis while looking for his father.

Article continues after this advertisement

David welcomed the ruling, calling it a “positive development” for accountability in government agencies.

“The poor are often bullied,” he said. “But here we see that the system works. Civilian authority over the armed forces is a mark of a stable democracy.”

READ: 7 Caloocan cops face admin raps for detaining leptospirosis victim’s dad

The bishop also thanked church volunteers, including Caritas Caloocan, for supporting the dela Rosa family. He noted that the charges against the victim were later proven false.

“If only the father had been produced immediately, if only the proper process was followed, he wouldn’t have stayed in the dirty water for three days,” he added.

He also stressed that families must always be notified when someone is arrested — a basic human right.

READ: Police officer dismissed for sexually explicit online posts

Calinisan said the ruling shows the commission’s firm stance against abuses in the police service, adding that every complaint filed before Napolcom will be thoroughly evaluated.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

“Our citizens must know they can run to us,” he said. “We will investigate all the evidence, and whoever needs to be disciplined, will be disciplined.” /das /mr

TAGS: leptospirosis, Napolcom, PNP‎

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved