PNP DEG: 6 cops surrender in Bacoor City robbery-rape case

MANILA, Philippines — Six of the 14 police officers accused of ransacking a Bacoor City home have surrendered to authorities, the Philippine National Police Drug Enforcement Group (PNP DEG) said on Monday.
Eight officers had already been arrested last Nov. 23, including the team leader who allegedly raped an 18-year-old online seller and a Grade 9 dropout who was in the raided house.
“At around 1:30 p.m. on Nov. 27, the six at-large officers surrendered one by one. By 5:40 p.m., they were all accounted for,” PNP DEG Director Brig. Gen. Elmer Ragay said in Filipino in a press briefing at Camp Crame.
“They were all brought to my office at the PNP DEG headquarters. So, the at-large officers are now accounted for… As a matter of protocol and directive, they have been officially relieved from PNP DEG,” he added.
He previously identified the operatives as part of the Special Operations Unit Calabarzon (SOU 4A) but did not name them or specify their ranks.
READ: 14 cops face admin raps over Cavite teen’s alleged robbery-rape
National Police Commission (Napolcom) Executive Officer Atty. Rafael Calinisan identified the team leader as a police lieutenant, but the Inquirer opted not to name him due to the nature of the case and until his side could comment.
At the briefing, Ragay said all 14 operatives were placed under the custody of the Headquarters Support Service at Camp Crame.
The 18-year-old online seller, identified only as “Nena,” her cousin, 25-year-old factory worker “Stephen,” and his partner, 22-year-old “Dona,” filed an administrative case with Napolcom at its Quezon City office last Tuesday.
Ragay previously said the operatives were acting on a target intelligence packet aimed at capturing Nena’s boyfriend, an alleged high-value individual in the drug trade.
However, speaking to reporters after filing her complaint, Nena said her boyfriend was only arrested for illegal gambling in 2019, later charged for drug use, and enrolled in a community-based drug rehabilitation program.
Also at the press briefing at Napolcom, Bacoor City police chief Lt. Col. Alexie Desamito said the officers admitted they did not have a formal report of the operation. /mcm