GCash assures users their data, funds remain secure

INQUIRER FILE PHOTO
MANILA, Philippines — Mobile wallet application GCash on Monday dismissed fears that customer data had been sold on the dark web, assuring users that their funds and information remain safe and secure.
In a statement posted on its social media accounts, GCash said no evidence of a data breach was found in its systems.
READ: GCash adopts InstaPay for cash ons, no additional fees
“Upon swift investigation of our cybersecurity experts, the alleged dataset does not match data from GCash systems. Additionally, many entries are incomplete, invalid, or do not belong to GCash users,” it read.
“These findings strongly indicate that the data being circulated did not originate from GCash,” it also read.
GCash said it continues to work closely with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the National Privacy Commission (NPC), and the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Center to verify information from all possible sources and ensure its systems remain secure.
The NPC, in a separate statement, confirmed that it has launched its own investigation into the dark web post claiming the alleged breach.
The post, made by a threat actor using the alias “Oversleep8351,” reportedly offered merchant and basic user data, account numbers, linked bank and virtual card accounts, and Know Your Customer information. /mcm