CDO fire victims appeal for housing materials

CDO fire victims appeal for housing materials

/ 03:44 PM October 03, 2025

Families displaced by the Oct. 2 fire temporarily stay in tents, bringing with them salvaged belongings and essentials.

Families displaced by the fire on Thursday, October 2, 2025, in Cagayan de Oro City, temporarily stay in tents, bringing with them salvaged belongings and essentials. (PHOTO BY SHAYNE ACOBO)

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — While food and water remain urgent needs, victims of Thursday’s fire in Barangay 17 here are also appealing for housing materials so they can begin to rebuild their homes.

The blaze displaced 121 families, who are now staying in green tents set up under Marcos Bridge.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: At least 500 families lost homes to fires in Davao, CDO cities

FEATURED STORIES

According to data from the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO), 78 houses were damaged in the fire.

Residents recalled the fire started around 12:50 p.m.

“The police patrol arrived after about 10 minutes, then the firefighters followed,” said Wendylyn Victoria, one of the displaced.

Victoria said two houses were initially engulfed, but the flames spread as the firetruck struggled with weak water pressure. By the time the supply was stabilized, five houses had already been consumed.

Article continues after this advertisement

Now left with only what they managed to carry, residents say rebuilding will be the hardest part.

“What we really need are materials to rebuild our houses,” Victoria said. “Even if we can manage our daily needs, it’s the house that’s hardest to rebuild.”

Article continues after this advertisement

Victoria, who has lived in Barangay 17 since 2003 with her mother, nieces, and nephews, said this was already the third fire in their area.

Asked if she had thought of moving, she replied: “If it’s just about safety, we’re eager to relocate.”

But relocation is not easy, she added, citing livelihood and children’s schooling.

“Some of our neighbors moved to Mambuaya, but it’s hard to make a living there,” she said, referring to a relocation site in Mambuaya village established by the city government.

Victoria works as a janitor at the Northern Mindanao Medical Center, a kilometer away, making their current location practical for her job.

Likewise, her nieces and nephews attend school in Barangay Consolacion, just a seven-minute walk from their home.

Already, civic groups have launched a fundraising drive to aid the fire victims. News organizations such as RMN News, i-FM, and Mindanao Gold Star Daily also called for donations./coa

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Families displaced by the fire on Thursday, October 2, 2025, temporarily stay in tents, bringing with them salvaged belongings and essentials.

TAGS: CDO, Fire, help needed

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved