
Contractor couple Pacifico “Curlee” Discaya of St. Gerrard Construction and Cezarah “Sarah” Discaya of Alpha and Omega Construction, at the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing on alleged anomalous flood control projects at the Senate Session Hall in Pasay City on Monday, September 8, 2025. —INQUIRER PHOTO/NIÑO JESUS ORBETA
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang said contractor couple Pacifico “Curlee” and Cezarah “Sarah” Discaya should return their “ill-gotten wealth” to the government as a sign of sincerity in cooperating with the ongoing investigation into alleged corruption in flood-control projects.
At a briefing on Wednesday, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro was asked about the Palace’s stand on requiring the Discayas to return their allegedly ill-gotten wealth before being admitted to the Witness Protection Program.
READ: Curlee, Sarah Discaya turn to DOJ for protection
“When there is already an admission regarding their alleged plunder of public funds, shouldn’t they also return it to show their good faith, instead of waiting for the government to file a case against them?,” Castro responded, speaking in Filipino.
“The witnesses who are seeking protection from the government are asking for the government’s help—shouldn’t they also give back to the government while they are being protected?” Castro continued.
According to Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon, the cars registered under the couple are worth P277.25 million.
Sarah topped the list with cars valued at P218.16 million, followed by her husband at P59.08 million.
The couple has come under fire for owning construction firms allegedly tied to corruption in flood-control projects across the country. Two of their companies ranked among the top 15 that received the bulk of flood-control contracts nationwide.
On September 19, the Discaya couple met with Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla regarding their application for the Witness Protection Program.
Castro previously said the government is open to protecting the couple, noting that they must also disclose all individuals involved in the questionable flood-control projects.
Return people’s money
At Wednesday’s briefing, Castro also noted that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. wants stolen public funds to be returned.
“It is not enough that those involved in the anomalous flood control projects are merely charged with a case,” she said.
“It is also not enough that they are imprisoned, because what President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. wants is for the people’s money to be returned,” Castro stressed.
READ: Palace ready to give Discaya couple protection after Senate revelation
You can’t get evidence out of thin air
In the same briefing, Castro addressed Sen. Rodante Marcoleta’s questions about the independence of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI), after the lawmaker claimed the super body was too dependent on other government agencies.
Castro said, “The independence of an investigating body can be seen if it is impartial—not biased, not taking sides, not accepting bribes, nor rumored to have received bribes in order to defend the alleged offenders.”
“The ICI is an independent commission that will conduct an investigation, and where will they get their information? From every possible source they can! You just cannot get evidence out of thin air. It will also come from government documents.,” Castro also said. /cb