INQToday: Scarborough convoy concludes mission; China issues radio challenge vs chopper en route to Pagasa | Inquirer News

INQToday: Scarborough convoy concludes mission; China issues radio challenge vs chopper en route to Pagasa

/ 06:22 PM May 16, 2024

Here’s a quick roundup of today’s top stories:

Scarborough convoy concludes mission, now heading back to Subic port

Volunteers of the civilian-led convoy that reached about 50 nautical miles from Scarborough (Panatag) Shoal have concluded their mission and will now return to Subic port, according to Atin Ito (This is Ours) Coalition.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a Facebook post on Thursday, the coalition said they had already concluded the mission after accomplishing their three earlier objectives of its voyage’s first phase.

FEATURED STORIES

China issues radio challenge vs chopper en route to Pagasa

“Ito po ay teritoryo ng Republika ng Pilipinas! Kaya kung pwede, lumayas na kayo.”

(This is Philippine territory! So please, leave.)

Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri exclaimed these words on Thursday after the helicopter he boarded en route to Pagasa Island received a radio challenge from China.

Chinese vessels near Pagasa during PH Navy barracks groundbreaking

Twenty two Chinese vessels were seen loitering three to four nautical miles from Pagasa Island during the groundbreaking ceremony of a Philippine Navy barracks and a Super Rural Health Unit here, a Philippine Coast Guard official said Thursday.

“There are 22 Chinese militia vessels [including] Chinese Coast Guard ships,” Coast Guard Commandant Admiral Ronnie Gavan said when he was briefing Senate President Juan Miguel Zubiri and other senators.

Marcos: We won’t allow agents within PH to destabilize gov’t

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday said his administration would not let “agents within the country to destabilize our government.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking with Army troops at Camp Edilberto Evangelista in Cagayan de Oro City, Marcos stressed the importance of loyalty to the country.

House panel ready to probe into anti-drug war, extra-judicial killings

The House of Representatives’ committee on human rights is prepared to investigate the alleged extrajudicial killings (EJKs) committed in the past administration’s war against illegal drugs.

During a press briefing on Thursday, panel head and Manila 6th District Rep. Bienvenido Abante said the committee met on Wednesday to discuss how it would move forward when it starts the hearing on May 22.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Photos showing Camilon, De Castro kissing lack evidence of a crime – PNP

Photos or evidence allegedly showing former police officer Allan De Castro and missing beauty queen Catherine Camilon kissing were not enough to prove the kidnapping and serious illegal detention complaints against the former, according to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said the photos of the two were among the evidence submitted to the Prosecutor’s Office of Batangas City, which it found to be insufficient.

For comprehensive coverage, in-depth analysis, and the latest updates on the West Philippine Sea issue, visit our special site here. Stay informed with articles, videos, and expert opinions.

TAGS: barracks, Bongbong Marcos, Catherine Camilon, EJK, EJK victims, Juan Miguel Zubiri, PAGASA, PH Navy, PNP‎, Scarborough, Scarborough Shoal, West Philippine Sea

© Copyright 1997-2024 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.