VP Sara Duterte says relationship with Marcos remains ‘okay’
MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Sara Duterte on Monday said that she and President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. “are okay,” despite the hostility between her family and the President.
“We have no problem with each other, President Bongbong Marcos and I are doing good, we are okay in terms of our relationship both personal and working,” Duterte told reporters in Malaysia where she is set to attend a Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization Council program as its president.
However, asked about her relationship with First Lady Liza Marcos, Duterte merely responded “I have no comment as of this time.”
Duterte also said that she and Marcos have not discussed the accusations made against him by her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, nor have they addressed her brother, Davao City Mayor Sebastian Duterte’s call for Marcos to step down.
The said accusations were made during a prayer rally in Davao City where the former President said Marcos was on the government’s illegal drugs watchlist — which the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency later denied.
On the other hand, Davao City Mayor Sebastian or “Baste” in the same event also called Marcos to resign as he criticized the policies of the current administration.
Sara, for her part, dismissed Baste’s call as “brotherly love” as she attributed Baste’s actions to the “despicable treatment” she’s been receiving from some allies of Marcos.
While the Vice President has not specified who these allies were, there has been a noticeable rift between her House Speaker Martin Romualdez.
Sara herself previously acknowledged the alleged rift between her and Romualdez, stating that even she wonders why she is being “attacked” despite being the current administration’s ally.