Baguio City probing rising cases of gastroenteritis linked to dirty water
BAGUIO CITY—Local officials have ordered a probe into reports of rising cases of acute gastroenteritis that were linked to possible contaminated water in several establishments in the city.
In a statement, the City Health Services Office (CHSO) said it has already implemented measures to address the issue, including testing water samples from different sources.
According to the sanitation division of the CSHO, the water samples it collected were already subjected to testing and retesting “to pinpoint the actual source and cause of the contamination.”
“The division also linked up with the Baguio Water District and had been assured by the district that they will conduct their own investigation and testing to aid in determining the cause of the problem,” the CHSO said.
Dr. Celia Flor Brillantes, city health officer, said they already advised local establishments to refrain from serving tap and filtered water and to serve only purified or bottled water for safety purposes.
“We are hoping that all food establishments will cooperate to help ensure the safety of their customers and prevent more incidents,” Brillantes said.
The CSHO has already recorded at least 350 cases of acute gastroenteritis since Dec. 21 last year.
In a statement, SM City Baguio said it was also taking proactive measures “to ensure the safety of its stakeholders amid a possible health concern reported in areas even outside the mall.”
“As part of [our] periodic comprehensive water testing, we are collaborating with the local City Health Office to conduct immediate tests for the mall and among its tenants to promptly identify any potential risks,” the mall management said.
“Likewise, we are working with our tenants to temporarily serve mineral or bottled water for everyone’s safety,” it added.