PNP eyeing two more possible persons of interest in MSU bombing
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday said that it is eyeing two more possible persons of interest in the deadly bomb attack that killed four people at the Mindanao State University (MSU) in Marawi City last December 3.
PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said the two other possible persons of interest (POIs) were in addition to the first two POIs — whose names were withheld by authorities.
“We are looking for four persons po at maliban sa dalawa natin may dalawa pa po tayong indibidwal na tinitignan na posibleng nag serve as lookout po dito sa nangyaring pagpapasabog,” Fajardo said in a press briefing.
(We are looking for four persons. Aside from the first two individuals, we are looking into two others who might have served as a lookout during the blast.)
She, however, clarified that they are still verifying if these possible persons of interest were lookouts or churchgoers.
According to Fajardo, investigators in Lanao del Sur had already obtained copies of CCTV footage installed outside MSU, which helped them identify the first two and spot the two others.
“It appears na affiliated po ito sa isang local terrorist group operating in Mindanao, and they have previous criminal records kaya nakakuha po tayo ng identification nila including picture (that’s why we obtained their identities and pictures.)Fajardo disclosed.
She likewise revealed that the witnesses present during the bomb attack positively identified the first two persons of interest.
The PNP earlier said that the blast – which occurred during a morning mass – injured 50 people, who had already been brought to the Amai Pak-Pak Medical Center.
Last Monday, the Islamic State militants claimed responsibility for the bomb attack, as reported by Reuters. It also revealed that the group said that its members had detonated the explosive.