Revival of peace talks with NDFP an ‘optimistic step,’ Marcos says
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Tuesday called the resumption of peace talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) an “optimistic step” towards achieving a nonviolent resolution to the decades-old conflict.
“We have always advocated and striven for a peaceful, prosperous, and unified country. Today, I firmly believe that we have taken a bold, meaningful, and optimistic step toward the fulfillment of this aspiration for all Filipinos,” said Marcos in a Twitter post.
“Both parties have agreed to a principled and peaceful resolution of the armed conflict so that we may finally face these challenges as a unified nation. I call upon the wholehearted support of all Filipinos as your government extends, in good faith, our nation’s goodwill to those ready to welcome and embrace our collective vision of peace, national reconciliation, and unity,” he added.
Earlier on Tuesday, the government announced the resumption of peace talks — via the Oslo Joint Communiqué — at Malacañan Palace in Manila.
In the communiqué, both parties recognized the various threats to the nation, including socioeconomic, environmental, and foreign security threats.
This move by the Marcos administration was in contrast to that of his predecessor, Rodrigo Duterte, who permanently announced the end of peace talks with the communists in 2019.