PNP says Piston’s transport strike didn’t paralyze Metro Manila
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Monday said that the transport strike held by the Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operators Nationwide (Piston) did not succeed in paralyzing the transportation system in Metro Manila.
“Hindi naman po naparalisa ang transportation [sa Metro Manila] (the transportation was not paralyzed in Metro Manila),” PNP spokesperson Jean Fajardo told reporters through Viber.
She said that more or less 600 individuals were recorded to have joined the protest in different parts of the capital region.
“As of 10 a.m. so far, relatively peaceful sa (in) NCR (National Capital Region),” said Fajardo.
“More or less close to 600 po ang na-monitor na nag protest in different locations in NCR, no untoward incident reported,” she added.
(Approximately 600 individuals were monitored protesting in various locations in the NCR, and no untoward incidents were reported.)
Earlier, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) also reported that Monday’s strike failed to paralyze Metro Manila’s public transportation system.
Piston pushed through with its three-day nationwide transport strike in protest of the December 31 deadline for the consolidation of traditional public utility jeepneys.