DSWD to give financial assistance to family of slain radio broadcaster
MANILA, Philippines — The family of radio broadcaster Juan Jumalon, who was shot and killed in Misamis Occidental last November 5, will receive financial aid amounting to P20,000 and educational assistance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
DSWD Assistant Secretary Romel Lopez said a social worker of the agency’s field office in Northern Mindanao handed the financial aid – for funeral and burial expenses – to Jumalon’s family on Thursday.
“Our social worker immediately went to the family of the broadcaster to extend our condolences and assess the assistance needed,” Lopez said in a statement.
He added that the broadcaster’s two children will likewise receive educational assistance amounting to P5,000 each, while the rest of the family members will be referred for assessment of their eligibility to the agency’s Sustainable Livelihood Program.
Citing DSWD data, Lopez said that they have so far extended financial assistance amounting to P44.8 million to over 1,600 media members involved with crises.
Based on police reports, the 57-year-old radioman was shot by a still unknown assailant while on-air over Misamis Occidental’s Gold FM 94.7 in Calamba town around 5:30 a.m. on November 5.
On November 6, the PNP unveiled the face of the attackers believed to have served as a lookout near the gate of Jumalon’s home.
Police said the man is described as having a medium build, 5’5″ to 5’6″ tall, and possibly weighing around 70 kilograms. It added that the suspect was wearing a red cap, green shirt, and black shorts as captured in CCTV footage.
To help with the investigation, the Presidential Task Force on Media Security said a P100,000 reward awaits anyone who has credible information that would lead to the identification and arrest of the suspects who attacked Jumalon.