Typhoon Jenny intensifies, Signal No. 1 in 7 areas
MANILA, Philippines — Typhoon Jenny (international name: Koinu) intensified on Monday afternoon and placed seven areas in Luzon under Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 1, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said.
Pagasa weather specialist Benison Estareja said that as of Monday afternoon, Jenny was spotted some 485 kilometers (km) east of Basco, Batanes with an increased maximum wind speed from 140 to 155 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gusts of up to 190 kph from 170 kph earlier, while moving northwest at 15 kph.
TCWS No. 1 (strong winds with minimal to minor threat to life and property) is up over the following areas:
- Cagayan including Babuyan Islands
- The northern and eastern portions of Isabela (Maconacon, Divilacan, Palanan, Santa Marla, San Pablo, Tumauini, Cabagan, llagan, San Mariano, Santo Tomas, Dinapigue, Benito Soliven, Naguillan, Gamu, Quirino, Delfin Albano, Quezon, Mallig)
- The northern and central portions of locos Norte (Carasi, Vintar, Burgos, Dumalneg, Bangui, Pagudpud, Adams, Nueva Era, Pasuquin, Bacarra, Laoag, San Nicolas, Sarrat, Piddig, Dingras, Solsona, Marcos)
- The northeastern portion of Abra (Tineg, Lacub, Malibcong)
- The northern portion of Kalinga (Balbalan, Pinukpuk, Rizal, Tabuk)
“By tomorrow po, possible na may malalakas na hangin in many areas of Northern Luzon and posible po na madagdagan pa ‘yung mga areas na magkaka Signal No. 1,” said Estareja.
(By tomorrow, strong winds are possible in many parts of Northern Luzon and it is possible that there will be more areas under Signal No. 1.)
He added it is possible that the tropical cyclone wind signal in some areas may be raised to Signal No. 2, or Signal No. 3.
Heavy rainfall alert
Meanwhile, heavy rainfall ranging from 50 to 100 millimeters should be expected in Batanes, Cagayan, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Zambales, Bataan, Occidental Mindoro, Palawan, and Western Visayas.
Estareja said Jenny also continues to enhance the effects of the southwest monsoon or “habagat” and is expected to bring gusty conditions in Metro Manila, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon), Mimaropa (Mindor, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan), Bicol region and Western Visayas
Click here for more weather related news.