Bongbong Marcos may have a shortlist for next DA chief, says Bersamin
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. may already have a shortlist for who could replace him as a Departure of Agriculture secretary, according to Executive Secretary (ES) Lucas Bersamin on Thursday.
Marcos has held the Agriculture secretary position for the entirety of his term so far.
Asked on “Tune in Kay Tuning” if the President has a shortlist, Bersamin said there could be.
“Maaring meron na. Maaari (There could be. Maybe),” said Bersamin.
The ES said that the President may be on his way to a decision, however.
Bersamin also said that Marcos was aware that a regular secretary was needed, but the position needs a wide range of expertise due to the number of issues plaguing agriculture.
“Matagal na yang iniisip niya yan. Kasi ang natatanggap niyang payo, marami ring nagsasabi sa kanya na maganda kung siya, sa dami ng problema diyan sa agrikultura kailangan talagang Presidente ang humawak dun sa ngayon sa kalagitnaan ng mga isyu na ito kailangan mas malaking authority kagaya niya,” said Bersamin.
(He has been thinking about it for a long time. From the advice he has received, a lot has told him that it is better if it is him, because there is so many problems in agriculture that a President is needed to handle it for now in the midst of the issues that need a bigger authority like him.)
However, some have told Marcos that it was time to give the position to another person so that the President could focus.