13-yr-old boy shot dead in Pangasinan; police say possible mistaken identity
MANILA, Philippines — The 13-year-old boy who was shot dead in Zone 7, Brgy. Puelay, Villasis, Pangasinan last week may be a result of mistaken identity, the police said Thursday.
Based on a report, the victim, identified as Charles Edward Rosete Serquiña, was selling balut (fertilized duck egg) at a wake on September 15 around midnight when he was shot three times by two unidentified gunmen onboard a motorcycle with an unknown plate number.
According to Police Major Glenn Dulay of the Villasis Municipal Police Station, they already have a lead on the incident and are now looking into the possibility of mistaken identity.
The victim was reportedly sitting at the same table with a person involved in a prior ruckus in an area next to the wake.
“May lead na po tayo. Bale po kasi based sa assessment namin sa investigation namin, prior sa incident ng pamamaril kay Charles, mayroon pong nangyaring gulo dito sa katabing zone ng Zone 7 – sa Zone 6 ng Puelay, Villasis. Bale kung saan yung isang involved doon, pumunta po sa lamay kung saan nandoon po siya the same table ni Charles,” he told INQUIRER.net on Thursday.
(We already have a lead. Based on our investigation assessment, prior to the shooting incident, a disturbance happened in the adjacent zone of Zone 7, Zone 6 in Puelay, Villasis. It turned out that the person involved in that commotion was at the same table with Charles during the wake.)
He said that the individual involved in the said ruckus, who now serves as their eyewitness, might be the supposed target of the shooting.
“Yung tumatayong eyewitness natin ngayon, siya po yung tinitignan natin na talagang target ng mga assailant,” he said.
(Our current eyewitness is the possible real target of the assailants.)
“May resemblance po kasi sila sa height, sa pangangatawan. ‘Yun po yung pagkakaparehas nila,” he added.
(They have similar height and build. That’s their resemblance.)
Dulay further shared that one of the suspects went up close to the table where Serquiña and the possible target were seated, and then tried to confirm the identity of their supposed target.
“Pumunta doon kay Charles yung assailant, at tinanong nitong gunman yung kasama niyang driver na ‘Ito ba?'” he narrated, pointing out that the suspects might be actually referring to the victims’ seatmate.
(They went up to Charles, and the gunman asked the driver if Charles was the target.)
Along with Serquiña, other wounded victims of the shooting were identified; Leonardo Balbin Jr. was shot in his stomach, while Orlando Pascua was shot in his foot.
The two managed to recover, while the 13-year-old victim was declared dead on arrival at the Dr. Marcelo Chan Memorial Hospital.
According to Dulay, aside from their current eyewitness, no one else seated at the said table during the wake, especially Serquiña, could be the target of the assailants.
“Based po sa investigation natin, yung mga nandoon sa table, especially yung minor victim natin, wala po silang mga recorded na kaaway o gulo sa barangay. Ang description naman po natin dito sa biktima natin ay mabait at mapagmahal na anak. Yung pamilya po niya ay hindi naman nai-involve sa gulo,” he stated.
(Based on our investigation, those seated at the table, especially the minor victim, had no enemies or bad records in their barangay. The minor victim, on the other hand, was described as a kind and loving son. His family was also never involved in any disturbance.)