Dismissed cop was given separation pay – Tolentino
MANILA, Philippines — The dismissed policeman who attacked a cyclist in Quezon City is now hounded by another controversy — he has yet to return the separation pay that he had received despite his dismissal, according to Sen. Francis Tolentino.
The Senate blue ribbon committee, which Tolentino heads, will open an inquiry this week into the Aug. 8 road rage incident involving dismissed cop Wilfredo Gonzales.
Following that incident, Gonzales’ past record was brought to light, with the Philippine National Police disclosing that he had been demoted several times during his stint at the Quezon City Police District before he left the service in 2016 upon reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56.
The next year, the PNP ordered his dismissal over an administrative case of grave misconduct based on a gun-toting incident in 2006.
His dismissal took effect in 2018 after his motion for reconsideration was denied, leading to the forfeiture of his benefits retroactively.
Tolentino said the PNP had “ordered him (Gonzales) to return” the separation pay granted to him.
“Until now, he has yet to return the money that he received after he was dismissed from the service,” the senator said in an interview with dwPM Radyo 630.
He noted that the amount “may not [be] that big, [but] it showed that he disregarded the order” of the PNP.
Tolentino said Gonzales was not entitled to such compensation. “He should not have separation benefits because he was dismissed,” he said.