CHR alarmed by teen shootings involving police
MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) is currently investigating the killing of a 15-year-old boy who was shot by a police officer in Rodriguez, Rizal, even as it reminded the Philippine National Police to follow its manual of operations.
In a statement, the CHR said it was seriously concerned over this incident, the second instance this month in which the perpetrator involved a police officer and the victim, another minor.
Earlier this month, the Navotas police came under fire after shooting another 15-year-old teenager, Jemboy Baltazar, whom they mistook for another suspect.
“The country has seen enough human rights violations that warrant serious reforms from duty-bearer institutions, such as the police, so they may fully and faithfully uphold their obligation to respect, protect, and fulfill human rights,” the commission said.
It added that it had already cooperated with the PNP.
On Aug. 20, 15-year-old John Frances Ompad was accidentally shot dead by Cpl. Arnulfo Sabillo who intended to shoot his brother, John Ace Ompad, for supposedly ignoring a police checkpoint.
Sabillo supposedly stopped Ompad, who was on a motorcycle, for being intoxicated. But Ompad refused to stop and headed home instead and threw his helmet at the pursuing Sabillo.
Sabillo drew his firearm and shot Ompad but hit John Frances instead. He later died in the hospital.
Citing the PNP’s manual of operations, the CHR reminded police officers that they should always be in police uniform when manning checkpoints, which Sabillo was not.