VP Sara Duterte on ICC probe and dad’s visit to China: ‘No comment’
MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Sara Duterte on Tuesday only had two words to say about the continuation of the International Criminal Court’s (ICC) decision to continue the probe on the alleged human rights violations during her father, ex-president Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs.
“No comment,” she said in a short statement to reporters.
The ICC had earlier decided against the Philippines’ appeal to stop the probe. In 2021, the ICC Prosecutor had suspended its probe upon the request of the Philippine government.
Duterte’s crackdown on drugs saw the deaths of thousands of people, with official numbers from authorities tallying to 6,248 in 2022. Human rights groups however, believe that the number reaches up to the tens of thousands.
During an interview with reporters, Sara Duterte also said “no comment” when asked about her father’s visit to Chinese President Xi Jinping.
The Duterte patriarch stirred controversy after it was revealed that he had spoken to the Chinese President, shortly before the ICC’s decision came out with its decision to pursue the drug war probe.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. earlier said that the former president did not need his permission to visit Xi, adding that he welcomed any new lines of positive communication with China.
“I am sure he will be able to tell us what happened during their conversation and see how that affects us,” Marcos said.